Migrating Thunderbird emails to Office 365 is not an easy task. Thus, different organizations adopt different approaches to execute Thunderbird to Office 365 migration. Any organization that needs it usually needs to move millions of bulk mailboxes from one platform to another. In addition to the obstacles and risks, format incompatibility plays an important factor between source and destination platform. If your organization looking for a perfect solution for exporting MBOX to Office 365, then you are at right place, this blog is for you.
Here in this blog, we will briefly talk about the manual solution to export MBOX to Office 365. Before we move on to the various solutions for importing an MBOX file into an Office 365 account, let’s briefly discuss the main reasons behind this migration process.
Why you wish to migrate Thunderbird to Office 365?
Here we have mentioned some reasons due to which users want to move from Thunderbird to Microsoft Office 365:
- As Office 365 is entirely cloud-based, you can access emails, files and Office programs from any location on any device.
- With Office 365, it’s Microsoft taking on all of the responsibility for security and reliability
- Provides added features of data share, storage, communication, and collaboration
- Offers Office applications too such as Word, Excel, Access, Skype, Exchange Server, etc to work online
- Users can store their password in the system tray of their machine to avoid having to repeatedly sign in
- Office 365 lets you share mailboxes, calendars, contacts and edit documents in real time through collaborative tools
- Offers Office suite application at reasonable price like – Exchange online server and Office 365 Mail
Methods to Migrate Thunderbird Email To Office 365
Here are some most widely used manual methods for performing the migration of Thunderbird mailbox information to the Microsoft Office 365 account. Let’s discuss those briefly below:
Method 1: Import MBOX Files to Office 365
The manual procedure you must adopt to migrate the Thunderbird MBOX file to Office 365 is divided into two steps. To complete this migration process, you must first save the Thunderbird email on your Windows PC and then import it into EML files. There are some quick steps to cover these steps:
Step 1: Save Thunderbird Email to Windows PC
- First of all you are required to create a new folder in Desktop
- After that open the Thunderbird application on the system
- Now, open the message folders where the emails need to be moved from Thunderbird to MS Outlook are saved.
- Now select all messages and then right click on the message; click on save as option
- At last you need to browse the desktop folder and save the emails there.
Step 2: Import EML to Office 365
- Now open the Outlook email application
- Now, visit the folder in Outlook where the Thunderbird messages will be saved
- Or, select the Folder tab and select the New Folder option
- A “Create New folder” dialogue box will appear, set a name for the new folder
- Next, just click on the OK button to migrate Thunderbird email to Office 365
- Now, you can see this folder on the left panel of the email application
- After that, click on the Folder to open its content on the center panel
- Now you need to drag all the messages from the Desktop folder to this folder in Outlook
- Finally, your data is migrated successfully
Method 2: Forward as Attachments
- Now open Mozilla Thunderbird on your Window computer
- Now you have to select messages that needed to be imported into O365 account from Thunderbird
- Once you select them, right click on them and select Forward as Attachment
- Now a new email window will open in which emails with be added as EML attachments
- Here, you are required to enter the email ID to migrate MBOX to Office 365
- After that you have to click on the Send button
- And as soon as the process is finished, you can view the Thunderbird emails on Office 365 Mail App
Check the migration process by logging in to O365 and opening each email through your browser in EML format.
Limitations of Migrating Thunderbird Email to Office 365 Manually
- Restricted to just a few emails → The Thunderbird email to Exchange online export process does not involve the migration of a complete email folder containing more than 500 emails. It can only allow migration of a few important conversations.
- Long process → Its process is long as well as complex that took lot of time of users while moving each email at a time to their desktop and then to Outlook.
- Time consuming → The manual method is a very time consuming process to send hundreds of Thunderbird messages in Office 365 with large attachments.
- Data integrity → Often the email format or SMTP title changes when sending an email using manual solution.
Method 3 Professional Approach to migrate MBOX files to Office 365
The method that we have recently discussed above, would not be suitable in any case for migrating MBOX file with huge amount of emails, attachments, contacts, etc into the Office 365 account. Therefore, it may prove best for you to rely on professional software, which specializes in exporting Thunderbird mailbox data to Office 365. You can easily overcome all the shortcomings of manual methods by using third party tools. You can use the MBOX to Office 365 Migrator utility to make this migration process easier.
In this post you will find a long and tedious manual way, which is used to transfer multiple mailboxes. In this post, the reasons for making the whole task very easy for administrators are also discussed. But as you can see there are some drawbacks in manual methods and there is also a possibility of database loss. Therefore, I would advise you to use a third-party tool to transfer Thunderbird to Office 365.